This editor is designed to edit souce code files in a textarea. The main goal is to allow text formatting, search and replace and real-time syntax highlight (for not too heavy text).
This editor is free and freely distributable (released under LGPL, Apche and BSD licenses). All I ask is that I receive credit for my work.
I will also enjoy to receive mail to tell me if you 're using it, just in order to have an idea of how much this editor is used. ;-)
- Easy to integrate, only one script include and one function call
- Tabulation support (allow to write well formated source code)
- Word-wrap support
- Search and replace (with regexp)
- Auto-indenting new lines
- Line numerotation
- Multilanguage support (currently: Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Macedonian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, and probably more...)
- Possible PHP gzip compression (compress the 12 core files to one file of ~30Ko)
- Allow multiple instances
- Full screen mode
- Possible plugin integration
- Possible save and load callback functions
- Possible dynamic content management
- Can work in the same environment than "prototype" and "mootools"'s like libraries.
- automatic focus on the textarea on page load.
- only on syntax language at the same time (no html and php syntax highlight at the same time).
The current version is the 0.8.2, released on 2010-01-14.
Go on sourceforge for EditArea 0.8.2 downloads.
You can see the change log here (txt file).
It works on IE 6 -> 8, Firefox 1.5 -> 3.5, Safari 3.1 -> 4, Opera 9 -> 10.1 and Chrome 1 -> 3. More information available in the compatibility chart
The online documentation is available here
For any message about EditArea see sourceforge tracker